Samstag, 4. Juni 2011

Did you notice quirks in my sentence structure?

I think I've lived in Germany too long! I'm throwing my verbs to the end of my sentence, even in English! Funny thing, because when you hear people speaking "Yi-nglish", they'll do the same thing, too!





That's right....I live in Germany. A nice Jewish guy, born in Brooklyn, raised in New Jersey, choosing to live in Germany. No, I did not come off my Effexor too soon. It's something I always wanted to do. And it all started with my family trips to Long Island.





My parents loved to talk about "the family". Names without faces, fascinating stories that would make great "Movie of the Week" plots, and all from the security of a multi-level Splanch home, typical for the South Shore of Long Island. And it all revolved around one object - my great grandfather's ceramic shaving mug with his name in raised letters "Strom".





In high school German class, we learned the word "strom" which meant, current, as in a river current, or current, as in electricity. Even here in Rostock, where I live, I pay my "Strom" every month (the electric bill), or walk along "Alten Strom", the main promenade in Warnemünde, an old fishing port turned tourist trap, here in Rostock directly on the Baltic Sea. What does this name have to do with Germany? That is what I want to find out.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen